Everything for the weaver, spinner, knitter, felter and dyer...

Everything for the weaver, spinner, knitter, felter and dyer...
PurpleFleece.com

Friday, May 14, 2010

It's a busy spring...

Sheep and wool festivals start off with a fervor in the spring. Three weeks ago I was packing up the "Blue Light Special" (the Purple Fleece van) for the Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival in Tolland, CT. It was very well attended, weather was perfect, and sales were brisk. All in all, a great show...until the ride home. I'm no auto mechanic but I do know when my brakes disappear all of a sudden. Luckily I was at a dead stop at a gas station before getting on to the Mass Pike. I have visions of plowing through a toll booth at 65 mph running through my head. I must have had an angel sitting on my shoulder that day and all ended well. The "Blue Light Special" got towed back to Maine. The tow truck driver even helped to unload all the stuff from the show! My bank account was much poorer but I'm here and laughing about it and it makes for a great story.

Last weekend I packed up again for the New Hampshire Sheep & Wool Festival in Contoocook, NH. Always over Mother's Day
weekend, this is one of my favorite shows and it's just the right size; not too big and not too small. The weather could definitely have been better. It was cold and rained all day Saturday. There were a few die-hard souls who made the trek that day but most people opted to come on Sunday. Although still very cold, the sun was out. I looked like the Michelin Man in 5 layers of clothing but at least my teeth weren't chattering. I even wore 2 pairs of hand knit socks and my fingerless mitts for the occasion. Nevertheless, vendors kept a smile on their faces and were happy to be there. More fairs coming up but that's for another post...
(photo courtesy of Kathy Goldner, Knitting Out Loud audio books)

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Congratulations on the blog!!! I've just returned from the NH Library Conference, but will link to you etc tomorrow when I'm back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray - kudos on your blog! Will be following avidly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your support...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always interested in your doings! Look forward to seeing you at the next one - Acadia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Acadia Fiber Faire on Saturday, May 22nd, down in Southwest Harbor. I'm teaching a class on drop spindling at...gulp...8:30am. Coffee, do your stuff!

    ReplyDelete